Sunday, March 1, 2009

Catching up with old friends!

I had the wonderful opportunity today to catch up with some old friends of mine from the zoo. We spent time catching up on what everyone was up to nowadays as well as going back down memory lane and reminiscing about the good old days at the Columbus Zoo. :)

Perhaps a little background for y'all?

My mom had signed me up as a teenage volunteer at the Columbus Zoo when I was in high school. Little did she know what kind of monster she was unleashing...heh. I spent an awesome 4 years spending my summers at the zoo helping out in the depts I was assigned. You know all that fun stuff - cleaning, manning the yard at the children's zoo, cleaning, face painting, cleaning & more cleaning. It was not glamorous at all but I loved it! Soon I spent most of my time with the Shows department, cleaning out cages, cutting up produce, watching the hawk weathering yard and other small jobs. The end of my senior year, I had hit the age cap for being a Zooaide, but I didn't want to leave.

I eventually got hired on full time and spent my first 1 1/2 working the front gate & parking. Then I went to talk to the Shows supervisor. Sent in my resume and interviewed. Got hired on and spent the next couple of years working in the Shows dept. while going to school at Ohio State.

Man, were those days crazy & chaotic but unforgettable!

Good times!

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: